Air Canada has a full range of flights. I choose to depart from La Guardia, and the M60 bus from the Upper West Side is my new favorite backpacker trip. With your MetroCard, it’s basically free (so long as you have a monthly pass)! I also love the AMEX Centurion Lounge, combined with TSA PreCheck, make the $250 roundtrip weekend flight enjoyable!Le Méridien Versailles had a great promo of only 7,000 points per night for free accommodations. It’s a great, central location. We walked or took a short taxi everywhere and they are in the process of upgrading the lobby for future guests.
- Joe Beef, 2491 Rue Notre-Dame O
- Eggspectation, 1313 De Maisonneuve West Montreal
- Mamie Clafoutis, 3660 Rue Saint-Denis
- Au Kougin-Amman, 322 Avenue du Mont-Royal E
- Crudessence, 2157 Rue Mackay
- Le St-Urbain, 96 Rue Fleury O
- Au Pied de Cochon, 536 Avenue Duluth E
- Le Club Chasse et Pêche, 423 Rue Saint-Claude
- Café Parvis, 433 Rue Mayor
- Schwartz’s Deli, 3895 Boul St-Laurent
- Pullman, 3424 Av du Parc
- Grumpy’s Bar, 1242 Rue Bishop
- Upstairs Jazz Bar, 1254 Rue Mackay
- Big in Japan, 4175 Boul St-Laurent
- Dominion Square Tavern, 1243 Rue Metcalfe
- Baldwin, 115 Avenue Laurier O
- SuWu, 3581 Boul St-Laurent
Montreal is a UNESCO city of design. (Others in that category include Kobe, Shanghai, Seoul, Graz, Berlin, Nagoya, Saint-Etienne, Buenos Aires and Shenzhen.)
The main city of Montréal occupies a 30-mile long island along the convergence of the St. Lawrence and Ottawa rivers. The island is linked to the mainland by a tunnel and 15 bridges. Although this makes it sound quite expansive, most of the city’s main attractions are within decent walking distance of one another, or a short bus or train ride away.
Montréal is the second largest French speaking city in the world (after Paris). Most Montréalers are bilingual, especially downtown. A non-Speaker of French can do well by greeting strangers with a confident Bonjour!
85% of the world’s maple syrup comes from Québec, Montréal’s Provence. The maple sap collected used to make maple syrup is also used to make all kinds of maple goodies including maple butter, maple candy, marinades and baked goods.